I’m sick of hearing people whine about winter. Get over it. It’s February. Before you know it spring will be here. We’ll all be suffering from allergies, as well as complaining about the never-ending rain showers. Embrace the snow days, for all too soon they’ll be a distant memory. Cuddle up with your loved ones, a big bowl of steaming soup, and a movie that you’ve been dying to see, because a month from now you’ll be too busy outside cleaning up the yard and lugging around gigantic bags of mulch to have any luxurious downtime.
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 2 (32-oz.) Cartons Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Chives
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Parsley
- Maldon Sea Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper, and Sour Cream (Optional)
- Peel the sweet potatoes, and use a mandoline to thinly slice.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large Dutch oven or saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When the soup begins to boil, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender in several small batches, just until smooth.
- Top with a sprinkle of Maldon, freshly ground black pepper, or a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- The curry powder that you use will determine how spicy your soup will be. I used this mild curry powder. You can also reduce the amount used if you fear that it will be too strong for you.
- DO NOT fill your blender over 1/2 full with the steaming soup mixture; you will end up with soup everywhere. Allowing the soup to cool down before blending will greatly lessen your chances of both you and your animals taking a sweet potato soup bath.
- Stir a teaspoon of sour cream into each bowl before serving.
- Swap out a cup of the chicken broth for apple juice or apple cider.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil over the top or swirl in a small pat of butter.
- Crumble crispy bacon over the top before serving.
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.