I spent the weekend working on future blogs, weeding through drafts, looking at stats, and finally setting up an Instagram account. You can now follow Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck on Instagram here. Hopefully I’ll be able to capture a unique blend of the food I make, fun things that are happening, and a couple of shots of Brenna now and then just to piss her off. It’s almost been one year since I started Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck. Can you believe it? It’s been a little trying as of late, finding the time to write and cook hasn’t always been easy, but it has been something that I’ve enjoyed doing immensely. There are still lots of kinks that I would like to work out, and hopefully I’ll get a chance one day soon to make some progress towards the goals that I’ve set for myself.
Speaking of goals, I have yet to see the back of the freezer outside in our garage. I am however making some progress in that direction. Last night I discovered hidden Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pretzel Rolls from the Pennsylvania Dutch Market. The only reason they were still there was obviously because they were hidden, because had I known their location they would have been scarfed down a long time ago. Monday nights are always hard nights to come up with something for dinner when I haven’t spent the weekend cooking, so I decided to throw the stuffed pretzels in the oven and make a cucumber salad to go along with them. Thankfully we’ve been able to keep up with the cucumbers this summer, but every once in a while I like to try doing something different with them. This salad was a definite winner, and will be one that I make again soon. I can see myself even mixing this up in the winter with store-purchased English cucumbers.
- 2 Cups Cucumber, Seeded and Diced
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Halved
- 1/2 Cup Olives, Finely Chopped
- 3 to 4 Tablespoons Feta, Crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive juice, olive oil, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes; set aside
- In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, tomatoes, olives, and feta.
- Pour the seasoning mixture over the cucumber mixture; stir well to combine.
- I do not enjoy seeds in my cucumbers, and almost always remove them.
- Use a blend of different varieties of olives in this recipe.
- Purchase Pastures of Eden Feta from your local Trader Joe’s. You’ll fall in love instantly.
- Add one-teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Toss in some finely chopped fresh basil.
ORIGINALLY POSTED 08/05/2014