Welcome Monday, it’s nice to see you. It’s summer, I’m spending the week vacationing with friends, and I’m at my most favorite place in the world…the beach. Today is going to be a great day and I’m pretty certain that I’m going to have an even more fantastic week. Miss O’Hara Crock-Pot® 5-in-1 Multi-Cooker by Crock-Pot is joining B.O.B. Bob and me in this adventure. At some point this week, she’s determined to bake a cake of some sort, and she may whip up a breakfast, chowder, or even some snack-time meatballs and BBQ. Of course, this will all be determined by how much time she spends on our lovely vacation deck getting her tan on. I have a feeling that she may go into full vacation mode for a few days and refuse to go anywhere near the kitchen. If she does choose to put her lazy butt to work, she’ll have lots of kitchen goodies to work with. I think I dragged about half of my kitchen down here in the back of B.O.B. Bob’s big ol’ truck. If she and I don’t get together and collaborate on something tasty, I fear that B.O.B. Bob may have a few snide words to mutter on the subject.
Dear sweet Brenna is not along for the ride on this 2016 Outer Banks beach trip. She’s spending some quality time with her cat sitter. When I say quality time, I mean that she is spending the week dreaming up ways to torture the poor lady, and also silently plotting revenge on B.O.B. Bob and me. Returning home to her will bring lots of mixed emotions. I’m fairly certain that I will be ecstatic to see her furry little face and give her massive cuddles, but I’m also pretty doggone positive that she will scream violently at me for weeks afterwards and most likely attempt to maul me within a half an hour of our return. Give that girl some alone time and she’ll come up with all sorts of ways to make our lives miserable. Right now I can pretty much guarantee that she’s sneaking closer and closer to her Daddy’s pillow, which will of course bring on some serious allergy attacks. Poor B.O.B. Bob doesn’t stand a chance or breathing normally thanks to her little plot of revenge. I can only imagine what she’s got in store for me.
- 1/2 Cup Salt Pork, Finely Chopped
- 1 (14.5-oz.) Can Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Cups Water
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 8 Cups Fresh Green Beans, Cleaned & Snapped in Half
- 2 Red Potatoes, Evenly Cubed
- Use the brown/sauté option on your crock pot to brown the salt pork. If you don’t have this option, brown the salt pork over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan.
- Add all of the ingredients to a crock pot, stir, and then cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Stir occasionally if you are around during the cooking process.
- If you use a sauté pan to brown the salt pork, make sure to add any rendered fat to the crock pot along with all of the other ingredients; fat equals flavor.
- If you cannot find salt pork, you can always substitute country ham or thick-cut bacon.
- Add a tablespoon or two of additional butter to the cooked green beans to add even more richness.
- If you have different varieties of green beans available at your local market, combine them in this recipe. I used a blend of wax beans and green beans.
- Need an entree to go with these delightful southern-inspired green beans? Try Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken.
- Get your own Miss O’Hara Crock-Pot® 5-in-1 Multi-Cooker by Crock-Pot.
*Some affiliate links can be found in this post.
Crockpot Monday Link-Up Party #1:
Welcome to the Crockpot Monday Link-Up Party. If you are interested in joining, please use the inlinkz link-up button to add your own original crockpot recipe. It’s just a crockpot, Monday, dinner, and hopefully a whole lotta yummy, uncomplicated, and timesaving scrumptious food. Please follow along at Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck for future Crockpot Monday posts, join our Facebook page, or even get ideas on Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck’s Crockpot Monday Ideas Pinterest page. There’s even a special Crockpot Monday badge you can find HERE if you are interested in joining along.
Crockpot Monday Rules:
- Please link-up only original crockpot recipes created by you.
- One link-up per person please.
- Try to visit at least a few other link-ups to leave a few words of thoughtful encouragement. Spread the crockpot love y’all.