Happy Valentine’s Day!
What do you mean it’s not the big day yet? Every day is Valentine’s Day when you’re with the person you love. Every day is also special when there’s cake involved. At least that’s what people keep telling me. I have never been a lover of cake, so I don’t quite get it. Now put a slice of pie down in front of me, and chances are I’ll offer to give you my first-born child.
B.O.B. Bob is a cake man, which means that he almost always gets two pieces of cake, his and mine. Now that’s love…giving up your dessert to someone else. (This would never happen with pie!) That man just loves frosting, especially if there’s chocolate cake hidden somewhere underneath of it.
This cake is reminiscent of a bunch of roses, and just perfect to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Hannah of Love Always Hannah and Ella from Start Close In requested a pink cake for their recent #YouSparkle Valentine’s Day photo shoot, and this is what I came up with. I feel blessed to have been asked to participate in this collaboration of such a fantastic group of women, who each have their own unique talent. The beautiful photos featured in this post are all from Lauren Modny Photography. Make sure to check out the many Valentine’s posts that will be featured this week on the sites of these amazing, talented women.
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 5 Large Egg Whites, Room Temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 1/4 Cups Cake Flour
- 1 3/4 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 12 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 (8-oz.) Package of Cream Cheese, Softened
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla
- 3 Cups Confectioner’s Sugar
- Red Food Coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray; line the bottom with parchment paper rounds. Spray the paper rounds and dust lightly with flour.
- Combine the milk, egg whites, vanilla, and lemon zest in a small bowl. Mix with a fork until blended. Set aside.
- Mix the cake flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer on low speed.
- Add the butter; continue beating at slow speed until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add 1/2 of the milk mixture and beat for 45 seconds. Add the remaining milk mixture and beat for 45 seconds. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Beat for 30 seconds.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans.
- Bake until the cakes begin to pull away from the sides of the pans and spring back when lightly touched in the center, about 20 to 30 minutes. Remove them from the oven, wait 5 minutes, then invert onto racks to cool completely. Remove parchment paper rounds.
- Mix butter and cream cheese on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add vanilla; mix for 2 minutes.
- Add confectioner’s sugar; mix 2 minutes on low speed.
- Add red food coloring; mix until the color is completely incorporated.
- Use a measuring cup to evenly distribute cake batter between the two cake pans.
- You will only need a tiny little dab of red food coloring; a little goes a long way.
- Do not substitute All-Purpose Flour for Cake Flour; this is why.
- Since the icing is made with butter and cream cheese, you will want to refrigerate the cake, unless you plan on eating it within two days.
- Replace the vanilla in the cake batter with almond extract.
- Replace the vanilla in the icing with freshly squeezed lemon juice, and add the zest of one lemon.
RECIPE ADAPTED FROM: Raspberry Lemon Cake by King Arthur Flour
#YouSparkle Valentine’s Day Credits:
Photography – Lauren Modny Photography
Personal Styling – Start Close In
Floral Design – LeRoy French
Handmade Valentines – Birch and Honey
Cake – Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Makeup – Melissa Taylor
Model – Destiny Decker
Creative Direction & Party Styling – Piccadilly / Love Always Hannah
Rose Almond Spritz were also featured in #YouSparkle Valentine’s Day.
ORIGINALLY POSTED 02/10/2014
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.