Meet my youngest nephew Brock, who is celebrating his first birthday today. Four years ago, I started making albums for my “sister-in-law” Linda’s children on their first birthdays. The first one was a lot of fun, the second a little bit less fun, and by the third…well let’s just say this one was more of a “What the hell have I gotten myself into?” chore. Not having taken many pictures of Brock throughout the year made the craft project even harder. I had to be a bit more inventive this time around, and make the album more of a story about his life and ours throughout the year. It made the creative process a lot longer, but I love the results. I think this may be my favorite so far, and hopefully the last!
- Brock Matthews Johnson
- Born February 5, 2013
- 5:31 PM
- 8 Pounds 10 Ounces
- 20.5 Inches
Page 2 & 3
- We met you for the first time at The Delawder Matthews Easter Egg Hunt for Money. You were super adorable, and no one could resist your charms, not even Uncle Bobby or Aunt Mary.
- Aunt Colleen & Uncle Bob Love Bunny Ears
- A blessing from Betty-La is always a special event. She said a prayer for your future, while showering you with kisses.
- Aunt Colleen found that you were most content when in flight. Perhaps you’ll grow up to be an airplane pilot.
Page 4 & 5
- Allison took some time out after the hunt to give you some tickles. Thank goodness it turned out to be such a bright sunny spring day; perfect weather for egg hunting.
- This was the first year that D.J. and Tori really got into searching for eggs. I’m sure that you will give them some competition when you’re finally old enough to take part in the kid’s hunt. You may even give your mom and dad some competition when you’re old enough to participate in The Easter Egg Hunt for Money.
- We believe that the wearing of bunny ears really makes all the difference between being a big winner and a big egg sucking loser.
Page 6 & 7
- Silly Naked Animals Make Everyone Laugh
- After a bath, your brother and sister get very silly. They like to run around the house naked. They’re just waiting for you to be old enough to join in the fun.
Page 8 & 9
- You love to have long conversations with Aunt Mary, even if you’re not always sure what they’re about afterwards.
- The Johnson kids like to get dirty. D.J. likes face paint, while Tori prefers toothpaste; but you like to keep it simple with booger slime.
Page 10 & 11
- You came to visit us at The Delawder Matthews Halloween House before Halloween, just to show off your matching Old Navy Halloween T-shirts that we sent to you.
- Silly Pumpkin Faces
- Serious Pumpkin Face
Page 12 & 13
- The Happy Face of Christmas
- You were not excited to see your Aunt Colleen and Uncle Bob. Perhaps you didn’t realize that aunts and uncles usually come bearing gifts.
Page 14 & 15
- Merry Christmas
- And Then There Were Smiles
- Once you started smiling, there was no end to the fun we had together.
Page 16 & 17
- The best part of being a Delawder Matthews Johnson is spending holidays together. If there’s a costume or hat for it, we’re going to have fun celebrating it.
- New Years
- Hawaii Vacation
- Thanksgiving Turkey Trot
- St. Patrick’s Day
- A Visit from Paula and a Huge Chair
- 4th of July
- Twelfth Night
Page 18 & 19
- Cousin Brenna snuggles with your birthday gift.
- Aunt Colleen is determined to make you love VW Bugs as much as she does.
- For your first birthday your Aunt Colleen sewed a VW patch onto a sweatshirt for you.
- Whenever you grow out of the sweatshirt Aunt Colleen will sew it onto a bigger sweatshirt for you; and will continue to do so throughout the coming years. How long do you think the patch will last?
- It’s a Wonderful Life
- Mele Kalikimaka!
- From: Bob, Colleen, & Brenna
- Happy 1st Birthday Brock
This one year photo album is just part of Brock’s gift. I placed the album in a large decorative box, which also contains items that are relevant to the year he was born. I’ve done this for several friends who have had children, and it’s always been a big hit.
- Newspapers from Date of Birth
- Magazines from Week/Month of Birth
- United States Postal Stamps from Year of Birth
- United States Mint Proof Set Coins from Year of Birth
ORIGINALLY POSTED 02/05/2014
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.