This month’s #SoupSaturdaySwappers “Mexican Soup” theme was chosen by Karen of Karen’s Kitchen Stories. I will admit that generally, I am not someone who gravitates towards Mexican-inspired soups due to their spice and tomato content, which almost always leave me feeling as if my stomach is on fire and slowly dying. However, this month I chose to embrace the theme, as well as filling a request for easy to prepare meals that are not only nutritious but also don’t make enough food to feed a small army.
Recently, I traveled to Richmond for an extended family affair and was confronted with the realization that there are actually people out there that read this lil’ ol’ blog and man do they ever have their requests and opinions about it. One such request was that it would be really lovely if I could come up with a few quick to make, healthy recipes, which also don’t require a single person having to eat the same meal for five days straight. Well, challenge accepted Brenda. You asked and now you have received, and yes, there will be more coming in the future.
Is there something in particular which you would like to see featured here on this blog? Perhaps a special recipe you would like to see made and adapted by me and Brenna? Please comment below with your suggestions, ideas, and recommendations. We look forward to hearing from y’all.
- 1 (15.5-oz.) Can Butter Beans
- 1(15.5-oz.) Can Small White Beans
- 1 (14.5-oz.) Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (4.5-oz.) Can Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Cilantro, Finely Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Rinse and drain the canned beans.
- Add all of the ingredients, except for the queso fresco, to a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat until heated through.
- Serve topped with crumbled queso fresco and additional cilantro if desired.
- Rinsing the beans under cold water helps to rid them of added sodium and improve the texture of this soup.
- Use Homemade Taco Seasoning in this recipe. It has less salt than most store brand versions. If you do use a store brand version, you may want to leave the added salt in this recipe out.
- You can replace the queso fresco in this dish with grated cheddar if desired.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream or diced avocado.
Soup Saturday Swappers is a group of friends who get together on the third Saturday of each month to share their favorite soup and stew recipes based on a theme chosen by one of the members. To join Soup Saturday Swappers you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our Pinterest board to find more great soup and stew recipes.