Fall has officially arrived, bringing with it cooler temperatures, pumpkins cheerfully decorating every neighborhood front porch, leaves swirling haphazardly through the air, cravings for large bowls of delicious chili, and best of all, #Choctoberfest.
#Choctoberfest is a virtual event put together by The PinterTest Kitchen. Bloggers from around the world will be posting their favorite chocolate recipes, giving you a chance to win some amazing prizes. It’s pretty much the most tempting chocolate-filled event EVER!
Thank you to the sponsors who make #Choctoberfest possible! This year, Imperial Sugar is back as our Gold Sponsor. They have been a trusted name in kitchens since 1843, and their website is home to thousands of sweet recipes tested in the Imperial Sugar Kitchen. You can find Imperial Sugar on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Youtube, or join their Sweet Community so you can share your own recipes, save recipes to a virtual inbox, print Imperial Sugar coupons, and connect with other sugar lovers.
Imperial Sugar and our silver sponsors have banded together to offer a huge #Choctoberfest prize pack, which you can enter to win below! One lucky winner will be chosen at random to receive the following:
- From our Gold Sponsor Imperial Sugar: 1 case of granulated sugar (40 pounds), 1 case of brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of dark brown sugar (24 pounds), 1 case of powdered sugar (24 pounds bags), and an Imperial Sugar red ruffle apron
- From our Silver Sponsor Nature Nate’s: 32 oz. Raw & Unfiltered Honey bottle, Honey Syrup, Honey Packets, a Nature Nate’s T-shirt, various kitchen supplies, and $50 Amazon gift card
- From our Silver Sponsor Barlean’s:16 oz Barlean’s Butter-Flavored Coconut Oil, 9.52 oz canister of Chocolate Silk Greens, and 8oz bottle of Essential Women Omega-Swirl Chocolate Mint
- From our Silver Sponsor Caveman Coffee: 1 Bag of Coffee (you choice of blacklisted or sabertooth), 1 coconut MCT oil, and 1 Cacao Butter
- From #Choctoberfest blog hosts The PinterTest Kitchen: 1 specialty chocolate gift pack (your choice of dark or milk chocolate), 1 tin (14 ounces) drinking chocolate, and Divine’s Fair Trade Gift Set
Enter now to win our #Choctoberfest 2016 prize pack! We’ll be picking a winner at random winner on Saturday, Oct. 15, so enter by Friday to make sure your name is in the drawing:
I’m finally able to breathe a sigh of relief because our annual Halloween party is over, the house is back in order, and the stress of cooking lots of food for all of our family, friends, and neighbors has finally come to an end. This year’s menu included “Crack”er Candy, copious amounts of Mac & Cheese, Colleen’s Famous Deviled Eggs, Veggies with Peppercorn Ranch Dressing, Pumpkin Chocolate-Studded Mini Whoopie Pies, Southern Red Pepper Jelly Deviled Eggs, Lechon Asada Pork BBQ, and last but not least, this amazingly spicy Chocolate Sirloin Chili. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate Crockpot Monday and the arrival of #Choctoberfest, than to share the recipe for this chocolate-laced sirloin chili with y’all today.
If you’re looking for an inexpensive pot of chili, then I’m just gonna warn your right now that this is not the recipe for you. It requires four pounds of sirloin meat, vegetables, stock, beer, canned tomatoes and paste, chocolate, and lots of seasonings and spices. Now, that may seem like a whole lotta ingredients to y’all, but I promise you that you will not be disappointed, and if you like spicy chili, you’re gonna fall instantly in love with this recipe. If you don’t like spicy chili, you can always reduce the amount of chili and chipotle powder, and if you’re looking to make this on a budget, then you can patiently wait for sirloin to go on sale or replace it with lean ground beef instead. There’s a way for everyone to enjoy a big ol’ bowl of this #Choctoberfest tasty goodness.
- 4 Pounds Sirloin Steak
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Finely Ground Black Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (1 Tablespoon Per Batch)
- 2 Onions, Finely Diced
- 5 Celery Stalks, Finely Diced
- 5 Carrots, Finely Diced
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 (32-oz.) Carton Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 (28-oz) Can Petite Diced Tomatoes
- 1 (12-oz.) Lager Beer
- 1 (6-oz.) Can Tomato Paste
- 4 Tablespoons Chili Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar, Packed
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Dried Oregano
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Chipotle
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1.75-oz. Dark Chocolate, Finely Chopped
- 4 Bay Leaves
- Cut the sirloin steaks into very small chunks, being careful to remove as much fat and silver skin as possible.
- Place the sirloin into a large bowl, add the salt and pepper, and then mix well to coat.
- Brown the sirloin over high heat in olive oil. Make sure to work in small batches, so that the meat browns and doesn’t steam. It will probably take about 3 to 4 batches. Use about 1-tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil for each batch. Place the meat in a crockpot.
- Over medium heat, sauté the onions and celery in olive oil until translucent.
- Place the sautéed vegetables in a crockpot, add the remaining ingredients, stir well, and then cook for at least 8 hours on low heat.
- Remove and discard the bay leaves before serving.
- If you are a person whom spicy food does not agree with, decrease the amount of chili powder to 3-tablespoons and the ground chipotle to 1/2-teaspoon.
- Chili always tastes better the day after. Make this chili a day or two ahead of time.
- Make sure to use a premium chocolate bar in this chili.
- Sprinkle the chili with a bit of chopped chocolate before serving.
- Use beef stock in lieu of chicken stock.
- Save money by making this recipe with lean ground beef. Make sure to drain off any excess oil.
Here’s a list of all of the bloggers participating in #Choctoberfest 2016. Visit any of their blogs to get delicious chocolate recipes throughout the week:
The PinterTest Kitchen • 2 Cookin’ Mamas • A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures • addicted 2 recipes • Amy’s Cooking Adventures • An Affair From The Heart • Balancing Motherhood • Body Rebooted • Bottom Left of the Mitten • By the Pounds • Canning and Cooking at Home • Coconut & Lime • Cook with 5 Kids • Cook’s Hideout • Cookaholic Wife • Cooking with Carlee • CopyKat Recipes • Cricket’s Confections • Crumbs in my Mustachio • Elisabeth Jean • Fairyburger • Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice • Family Around the Table • Fantastical Sharing of Recipes • Feed Your Soul Too • Feeding Big • Frankly Entertaining • Full Belly Sisters • Get the Good Stuff • Grumpy’s Honeybunch • Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks • Hostess At Heart • Ink and Sugar • Jane’s Adventures in Dinner • Join Us, Pull Up a Chair • Karen’s Kitchen Adventures • Kate’s Recipe Box • Kudos Kitchen by Renee • Kylee Cooks • Letz Eat • Life Currents • Life on Food • Making Miracles • Monica’s Table • Moore or Less Cooking Food Blog • My Catholic Kitchen • My Gluten Free Miami • Our Good Life • Palatable Pastime • Restless Chipotle • Seduction in The Kitchen • Sew You Think You Can Cook • Simple Food 365 • Southern With A Twist • Sumptuous Spoonfuls • Take Two Tapas • Tampa Cake Girl • Teaspoon of Goodness • That Recipe • The Crumby Cupcake • The Flavourista • The Food Hunter’s Guide To Cuisine • The Freshman Cook • The Pajama Chef • The Redhead Baker • The Spiffy Cookie • Tramplingrose • Wildflour’s Cottage Kitchen • Zesty South Indian Kitchen
You can view many other choctastic #Choctoberfest recipes below. Make sure to check them out and get inspired to cook or bake with chocolate this week. Also, don’t forget to Enter the Rafflecopter Giveaway for your chance to win a sweet chocolaty prize pack.
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.