Sadly we finally ran out of S’mores Krispies near the end of last week. Normally I don’t eat sweets for lunch, but I’d become somewhat addicted to the crispy deliciousness of these gooey treats each day. Lunch without a sugary follow-up just wasn’t the same. Not having enough time, nor having the inclination to make a trip to the market, I relied on what ingredients I had on hand to make a lunchtime dessert. Thank goodness for the leftover Rice Krispies, as well as the miscellaneous extras I had on hand from previous baking sessions. Just in case you’re wondering, there are 15-cups of Rice Krispies in a box; which is enough for two batches of S’mores Krispies and one batch of Chocolate Monkey Krispie Poo. Why the odd name for this recipe. Well just take a look at these crunchy bars. Don’t they look like something a monkey would throw at you? They’re not much to look at, but they taste pretty darn good. I’m not sure what I like best, the crunch of the rice cereal, the texture of the coconut, or the saltiness the Maldon brings into the mix. All I know is that I’m excited to have a treat in my lunch box again. It makes my day sweeter, and gives me enough energy to face the rest of the workday.
- 1 Pound Chocolate, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- 1 Cup Butterscotch Morsels
- 5 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 1 Teaspoon Maldon Sea Salt
- Line a 9 x 13 glass baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine the coconut, butterscotch morsels, and cereal in a large mixing bowl; set aside
- Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Remove melted chocolate from the heat, and then pour over the cereal mixture; mix until well combined.
- Evenly distribute the krispie mixture in the glass baking dish, using the back of a spatula to press the mixture firmly down.
- Sprinkle the top of the krispie mixture with Maldon.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, and then cut into squares or break into roughly shaped pieces.
- I used 1 (10-oz.) bag of 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips in this recipe, along with 4 (1.55-oz.) HERSHEY’S Milk Chocolate Bars. Use whatever type of chocolate you have on hand for this recipe.
- Try using Trader Joe’s Shredded Sweetened Coconut in this recipe. It is not nearly as sweet as most other store-bought shredded coconut, and it has a lovely texture.
- Lining the baking dish with parchment paper will make cleanup much easier.
- You may also choose to freeze the krispie mixture to speed up the cool-down process. An hour or two should be sufficient.
- Keep the Chocolate Monkey Krispie Poo in the refrigerator. It tastes amazing chilled, and you will not have to worry about the rice cereal becoming soggy.
- Replace the butterscotch morsels with peanut butter chips.
- Add a 1/2-cup of finely chopped nuts to the krispie mixture.
Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.