Let’s have one last cold weather Crockpot Monday recipe, before summer actually arrives. Maybe. Just in case you haven’t heard, this is going to be a week chock-full of rain yet again. Sigh. Our “back field” is mighty squishy right now, and I can’t even being to imagine what it’s going to look like by the end of this week. This pretty much means that there is no way in Hell B.O.B. Bob is going to be able to zoom around our yard on his fancy-dancy mower leaving a path of destruction in his wake. Quite sad really, because it’s one of the things he enjoys the most. Yes folks, he actually enjoys mowing the lawn, now that he has his super tricked-out riding lawn mower and a set of ridiculous looking headphones to listen to his jams on. Sorry to say he has quite a way to go before he reaches “Hot Yard Guy” status, but at least he’s having fun in the process.
Besides all of the rain around here, The Delawder Matthews are currently dealing with an ant infestation. Those sadistic little teensy-tiny black buggers that make living in our house absolutely miserable. As of right now, they’re in the bathroom, kitchen, and upstairs hallway. I even saw a few crawling around our bedroom ceiling last week. I want them dead. Like right now. Saturday evening we found them absolutely taking over Brenna’s food bowl. You can only imagine what we’ve had to go through because of that. The automatic feeder is now off limits, which means we need to remember to feed the little girl at exactly the right moment of the day, or she totally freaks out. I’m not sure who’s harder to deal with, the ants or Brenna. Thankfully the traps we set out are doing their thing. So as of right now, we are winning the war, with the ants at least.
For this hopefully last yucky weather Crockpot Monday, we’re having Cheesy Sausage Crockpot Hash Brown Casserole. It’s insanely quick to put together, and will warm your tummy on even the rainiest of days. I’m not sure if I can decide what time of day this comforting meal if best for. It makes for a great dinner, but I feel like it could equally hold its own for breakfast. If you were to use breakfast sausage, this recipe kinda sorta resembles sausage gravy, only served over potatoes instead of biscuits. Don’t let that hold you back from serving this dish heaped up on top of some Easy, Flaky Breakfast Biscuits though. After all, on a rainy ant-infested day, you need to do whatever you can to lift your spirits. I’m pretty sure this Crockpot Monday recipe and a batch of biscuits is the key to getting through any rain-filled day. Unless of course the ants find the crockpot; then there might be a little bit of a problem.
- 2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, Cut into Small Pieces
- 1 (8-oz.) Container Button Mushrooms, Cleaned & Sliced
- 1 Shallot, Minced
- 4 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1 (14.5-oz.) Can Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 2 (20-oz.) Bags Shredded Hash Browns
- 1 Package Cooked Sausage of Your Choice, Sliced
- 2 1/2 Cups Shredded Sharp White Cheddar
- Chopped Chives & Paprika for Garnish (Optional)
- Over medium heat, sauté the butter, mushrooms, and shallots for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle with flour, and stir constantly for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the milk, stirring constantly.
- Add the chicken broth, poultry seasoning, pepper, and salt; cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Place the hash browns, sliced sausage, and cheese in a crockpot.
- Pour the sauce into the crockpot, and stir until well combined.
- Cook on high heat for 3 hours, stirring halfway through.
- Garnish with chopped chives and paprika to serve.
- I used cooked bratwursts in this recipe, but you can use whatever sausage you prefer. Andouille, breakfast sausage, or kielbasa would all work perfectly in this dish.
- Stirring halfway through helps to keep the mixture from burning to the bottom of your crockpot. If your crockpot has hot spots, make sure to stir more often. Stir quickly, because you don’t want to let out too much heat.
- Add a few dashes of hot sauce to the crockpot mixture.
- Use a 1/4-teaspoon of dried sage or Cajun seasoning in this recipe.
Crockpot Monday Link-Up Party #5:
Welcome to the Crockpot Monday Link-Up Party. If you are interested in joining, please use the inlinkz link-up button to add your own original crockpot recipe. It’s just a crockpot, Monday, dinner, and hopefully a whole lotta yummy, uncomplicated, and timesaving scrumptious food. Please follow along at Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck for future Crockpot Monday posts, join our Facebook page, or even get ideas on Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck’s Crockpot Monday Ideas Pinterest page. There’s even a special Crockpot Monday badge you can find HERE if you are interested in joining along.
Crockpot Monday Rules:
- Please link-up only original crockpot recipes created by you.
- One link-up per person please.
- Try to visit at least a few other link-ups to leave a few words of thoughtful encouragement. Spread the crockpot love y’all.
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.