Every year I make something with Reese’s for B.O.B. Bob’s birthday, because that’s his kryptonite. Last year is was Reese’s Birthday Sprinkle Brownie Cheesecake Bars and Jumbo Peanut Butter Cup Cookies, and the year before that it was Reese’s Minis Cupcakes. This year I switched things up a bit by making homemade ice cream, and then throwing in a whole bag of Butterfinger Bites in lieu of Reese’s. Peanut butter, chocolate, sweet and salty, there’s not much difference between Reese’s & Butterfinger, except perhaps for the crunch. If you ask me the crunch makes it even more extreme. Perhaps that’s why I can’t keep my spoon out of the container.
Today, Brenna and I are keeping are fingers, toes, and paws crossed that our beloved B.O.B. Bob gets the birthday wish he’s been dreaming of for some time now. A big ol’ gigantic take-charge win from the Washington Capitals in Round 2, Game 6 against the crappy, low-life scum, egg-sucking Pittsburgh Penguins. We need this win to stay in the game; we’re praying for another game like the last one. LET’S GO CAPS!!! C…A…P…S…CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!!! There’s Butterfinger to the Extreme Ice Cream for everyone if they win. Well, to be honest, probably if they lose too, because we’re sure as Hell going to need something to help us get over the defeat, and I may be a little bit addicted after eating this ice cream several times over the past birthday celebration weekend.
So folks, I need y’all to Rock the Red today, as you keep those digits crossed for good luck. If you won’t do it for me, then do it for B.O.B. Bob, because it’s his birthday and all that. It doesn’t matter that his big day has been over with for a few days now. Birthday wishes should be taken very seriously, and this is his. So everyone get up, get loud, and let me hear you scream. When I shout “C…A…P…S,” I better hear ya’ll out there shouting “CAPS, CAPS, CAPS,” and I better hear it with feeling. I’ll try not to drop my ice cream spoon in the process, as I head to the freezer for yet another sneak into the Butterfinger to the Extreme Ice Cream. Guess I’ll be making a trip to the market this week to buy ingredients for yet another batch…or two.
- 3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Instant Espresso Coffee
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 (10-oz.) Bag Butterfinger Bites, Chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, salt, espresso, coffee, and milk.
- Add the whipping cream and vanilla, and then whisk until well combined.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Churn the ice cream in an ice cream maker for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, fold the ice cream and chopped candy together.
- Spoon the ice cream into freezer-safe containers, and freeze for at least 8 hours before serving.
- Don’t be afraid to use the whole bag of Butterfinger Bites, even if it looks like a whole lotta candy; they are what make this ice cream extreme. If you want, you can keep a few out for garnishing the ice cream or even sneak one or two to snack on, but make sure you use most of the bag in this recipe.
- The little bit of espresso in this recipe helps to bring out the flavor of the chocolate. You can omit it if you choose, but I wouldn’t.
- Go ahead and buy the ingredients to make two batches of this ice cream, otherwise you will find yourself having to make another trip back to the market when you find out how freaking amazing it tastes.
- Serve this ice cream smothered in hot fudge or peanut butter sauce.
- I suggest purchasing this ICI Ice Cream Storage Container or this Tovolo Glide-a-Scoop Ice Cream Container. I happen to own and love both of them.
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.