Tired of turkey yet? Not us. We really didn’t have that much leftover to bring home with us from my parents, and of course, we had to share with Brenna first; she’s been one happy kitty this week. Nothing says love more than a Santa plate full of shredded turkey placed on the floor in front of a cat that is literally addicted to all forms of poultry. Brenna knew what was coming in the front door before I even managed to open the cooler lid. After removing all of the dark meat from the leftover legs and thighs, and scraping what little bit of white meat was to be found on the wings, I decided that turkey salad was the way to go for leftover turkey consumption. I’ve been planning on giving away a jar of Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing and Dip Mix for several weeks now, but wanted to use it in a recipe first, to give you a better idea of the variety of ways it can be used. I think I’ve come up with the perfect “mud pies” recipe, to help you not only enjoy that last little bit of Thanksgiving turkey, but also discover and enjoy a new product.
Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing and Dip Mix is a blend of salt, bell peppers, garlic, onion, sugar, black pepper, parsley, thyme, and basil. It is excellent for vegetable dips, sprinkled on poultry or fish, or used to make a buttermilk salad dressing. Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck will be giving away one jar of this dressing and dip mix on December 14, 2014. Why yes, that is the same day as my birthday. Coincidence? Not at all, this is my way of sharing my birthday with you. So what are the rules? No pushing, no shoving, no begging, and no bribes. Seriously, all you have to do is comment above on how you would use this spice blend, how addicted your cat is to turkey, what you would give me for my birthday if the sky was the limit as far as cost was concerned, or even your favorite Christmas song. Basically, just comment, and you may just be picked as the winner. Once again, Brenna will be picking the winner of this contest. I’d love to say that she is above taking bribes, but honesty, if you were to show up on our doorstep with a plate of turkey, I’m guessing she could be easily swayed. I will do my absolute best to ensure that her eeny, meeny, miny, moe is completely above reproach.
- Turkey, Roughly Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing & Dip Mix
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Leftover Rolls
- Brie, Sliced
- Apricot Preserves
- In a medium bowl, add enough mayo to your chopped turkey to give it a turkey salad consistency. Some people like more mayo, some people like less; do what you like. This is all about you.
- Add Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing and Dip Mix and freshly ground black pepper; mix well.
- Use right away, or refrigerate in an airtight container for later use.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice rolls in half, and place them cut side up on a tin foil covered baking sheet.
- Place the Brie on top of the bottom half of each roll.
- Bake for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the rolls start to turn golden brown and the cheese begins to melt.
- Remove from oven and smear a good amount of preserves onto the top half of each roll.
- Place a big spoonful of turkey salad on top of the Brie, and then top with the preserve-covered top of each roll.
- If you don’t have Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing & Dip Mix, substitute Italian seasoning, chives, dill, or whatever favorite dried herb you have on hand.
- I used roughly 2 cups of chopped turkey in this recipe. This recipe is all about using what you have. Add more, add less; just make sure to adjust your mayonnaise and seasonings.
- Allowing the turkey salad to sit in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours will help the flavors meld together better.
- Replace the apricot preserves with cranberry sauce.
- Add finely chopped jalapeño to the preserves, before using it on the rolls.
- Don’t forget to feed the cat a little bit of turkey first. It will get them out of your way long enough to assemble at least one sandwich. Turkey tends to make kitties just as sleepy as it does humans.
Comment above for a chance to win a jar of Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing and Dip Mix. Contest will end December 14, 2014 at midnight. This is not a sponsored post. Good Luck.
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.