I’m going to ask you to use your imagination. Imagine that it is a beautiful summer day, and that there is no rain in sight. It is possible to walk anywhere in your yard without feeling like you are taking a muddy stroll through a bog in your new recycled yoga mat flip flops that are not the sexiest shoes in the world, but sure as Hell the most comfortable. I want you to imagine that there are not puddles of water standing all around you, and that the grass is not three times the length it should be because the mower can’t be brought out into the light of day without tragically sinking into the sopping wet Virginia soil.
I’m asking you to imagine that your cat is not sitting at the window eyeing you down with hatred because the sun has failed to show its face for yet another day. There is no moaning, howling, sluggishness, or nasty behavior being emitted from her little fur-covered body, because it is a beautiful sun shining, bees buzzing, dandelion fluff floating in the sky sort of day. Now close your eyes tight as you feel the warmth of that big ball of yellow joy in the sky touch your skin. Picture a picnic table beautifully placed in the middle of your freshly cut lawn, laden with your favorite summer weather food dishes, as you anxiously await the arrival of your friends for an outside gathering, because the weather is far too gorgeous to ignore. Now tell me what you see on that table?
If you saw a tablecloth drenched in water, and food being ruined by yet another day of rainfall, you are truly the world’s biggest pessimist. You also don’t really get this whole imagine a fair-weather, knock your socks off, dazzling, splendiferous day thing we have going on here. Go back to bed, and take the cat with you, because you have no place living in imagination land with the rest of us, who are currently picturing a creamy bowl of potato salad just waiting to be dived into. The rest of us don’t want to listen to you whine again about how the end of days is upon us, and the flood will surely arrive any day now to sweep all of our houses away. We’re far too busy imagining ourselves sitting together at that picnic table, stuffing our faces, and not giving a care in the world because of two little words. Potato salad.
- 4 Cups Peeled and Diced Red Potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
- 1 Quartered and Sliced Yellow Sweet Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Tarragon Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Whole Grain Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Cover the potatoes and salt with 2 inches of water in a large saucepan, and then bring to a boil over high heat. Cook for 20 minutes, or until tender, lowering the heat if the saucepan begins to boil over. Drain the potatoes well and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Place the sliced onions and olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Decrease the heat to low and continue to cook for 20 to 40 minutes, or until caramelized. Place the onions into the mixing bowl with the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, tarragon vinegar, mustard, parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the mayonnaise mixture over the potatoes and onions, and then stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours before serving.
- The potatoes may need more or less cooking time depending on how large or small they are diced.
- You can eat this potato salad immediately, but it will taste much better after being refrigerated for several hours.
- This is a small-batch potato salad recipe, which means it will feed 4 to 6 people, depending on the serving size. Double or triple the recipe if you are making it for a large event.
- Add crispy chopped bacon to the potato salad.
- Replace the dried parsley with 2-teaspoons of freshly chopped parsley.
I’ll be joining the Fiesta Friday Link Party today. Head on over HERE to see what everyone else is bringing to the celebration.
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.