I was madly in love with taco seasoning before vacationing to Cancun recently, but I do believe that I’ve fallen even harder for the seasoning mix since our return. I want to put it on everything. Garlic bread is a whole new thing with a bit of taco seasoning sprinkled on top of it. Guacamole has a bit more zest when you fold in a pinch of taco seasoning, fresh lime, and any form of freshly grated Mexican cheese. By the way, my new favorite Over-the-Border cheese is Panella. Look for it in your local market, buy it, and then put it on everything. It’s similar to Mozzarella, but different. You’ll thank me for suggesting it to you. It’s yummilicious, and makes almost any sandwich taste amazing.
After a very long visit to the duty-free shop on our trip home, we are now the proud owners of four bottles of only available in Mexico tequila. B.O.B. Bob and I should never be allowed into any liquor store that offers free tastings of alcohol we cannot purchase at home. We don’t even drink tequila. Well, we do now of course, because it’s there and someone has to drink it. Not to mention the saleslady was so nice, spent about a half an hour walking around the store with us, offered us as many samples as we could drink, and then sent us on our merry way to board a plane a tad bit tipsy from the experience.
So now that we have all this tequila sitting around the house, I find myself wondering what to do with it. Perhaps a little bit of olive oil, tequila, taco seasoning, lime, and salt as a marinade for chicken or steak? Or maybe rim a shot glass with freshly squeezed lime juice and a blend of sea salt and taco seasoning for what B.O.B. Bob and I will soon start to call Tequila Tuesday? That could become a thing, right? Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up. Get ready to see a lot of taco seasoning recipes in your future from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck, and probably some tequila ones as well.
- 3 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 3/4 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 4 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 3 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small glass bowl.
- Pour into an airtight glass container for storage.
- Add 1 teaspoon of taco mix to mayonnaise to use as a sandwich spread.
- Add a few teaspoons of this mix to homemade mac and cheese to spice things up a bit.
- Make a batch of this; pour it into a cute glass container, and give it as a gift this holiday season. Don’t forget to include a recipe card.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dried cilantro to the mix.