I think it’s about time I share a simple “Any Idiot Can Do It” recipe with y’all. They’re such a nice thing to have around, especially on a week when you’re slammed with over commitments and don’t have a lot of spare time on your hands. Let’s just face facts; not every dinner has to include twenty gazillion ingredients or require the blood, sweat, and tears of a depressed and overworked yak to put together.
For this month’s “Indian Fish Curry” themed #FishFridayFoodies hosted by Sneha of Sneha’s Recipe, I definitely decided simple was the way to go. Forget traditional. Forget the task of combining several different spices to make a unique curry seasoning blend. Forget spending way too much precious time next to a hot stove. Simple, quick, flavorful, and dare I say almost elegant; I chose all of those instead.
This fancy pants appetizer salad will blow the socks off of any dinner guest, make you look like a kitchen goddess, and impress all of those lucky enough to eat it. And if you’re like me, who currently has had a week wherein extra time does not exist, this salad may just become your savior. Although, if you’re also like me, that may mean that you end up eating scallop and yogurt curry dressed kale salad greens for breakfast. Hey, whatever works.
- 1 (5.3-oz.) Container Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lime
- 2 Tablespoons Finely Chopped Cilantro
- 2 Teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Finely Ground Black Pepper
- 8 Large Sea Scallops
- Curry Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Bag Kale Mixed Salad Greens
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, cilantro, sugar, curry powder, salt, and pepper; set aside.
- Sprinkle a little bit of curry powder on both sides of each scallop and use your hands to gently rub the seasoning into the scallops.
- Place the olive oil and butter in a large sauté pan over high heat.
- When the oil and butter are very hot, carefully place the scallops into the sauté pan.
- Cook the scallops for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown and cooked through completely.
- Divide the mixed greens among four plates, drizzle them with salad dressing, add then add two scallops to each plate.
- Make the dressing the evening before to give the flavors a chance to better meld together.
- Dry the scallops off well with several paper towels before rubbing them with curry powder.
- Garnish each salad with a few additional leaves of fresh cilantro.
- Some bags of kale mixed salad greens also come with extra toppings such as pepitas, cranberries, or mixed nuts; add these to the salad.
- Use honey instead of sugar in this recipe. Adjust the amount to taste.
- Us a Classic Zester/Grater Microplane to zest the lime used in this recipe.
- This Lime Squeezer makes it easy to juice a lime.
*Some affiliate links can be found in this post.
Would you like to join Fish Friday Foodies? We post and share new seafood/fish recipes on the third Friday of the month. To join our group please email Wendy at email@example.com. Visit our Facebook page and Pinterest page for more wonderful fish and seafood recipe ideas.