In most cases “Surprise Corn” is never a good thing. There’s nothing worse than taking a huge bite out of something, only to discover that there is hidden corn tucked inside. Don’t get me wrong, I like corn, but I want to know that it’s in something I’m about to eat. In this cornbread, it somehow works; it makes the muffin more like a side dish instead of just something to soak up the juices from the main entree. Besides, the name of the recipe lets you know just what you’re in for, so just how surprised can you be? The bigger surprise would be why there is a picture of Brenna’s tail featured above, instead of a photo of these sweet cornbread muffins to drool over. Well, let’s just say I kind of forgot to take a picture; it was a long day, so you’ll have to forgive me.
- 1 Cup Cornmeal
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1/3 Cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 2 Tablespoons Honey
- 4 Eggs, Beaten
- 2 Cups Milk
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Batch of Smoky Creamed Corn with Bacon & Scallions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour in the oil, butter, honey, eggs, milk, and cream; stir just until moistened.
- Fold in the Smoky Creamed Corn with Bacon & Scallions with a spatula, making sure not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the paper liners and bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and starting to show cracks.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill the paper liners.
- Fill paper cupcake liners at least 2/3 full; this recipe should make at least three dozen muffins.
- Omit the Smoky Creamed Corn with Bacon & Scallions for a basic cornbread muffin.
- Add a bit more cayenne for added spice.
- Serve with butter and honey.
ORIGINALLY POSTED 11/06/2013
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.