Cinco de Mayo was a bland affair in our house last night. Perhaps it was due to the rain, but most likely it had more to do with me spending the entire day cleaning the house and putting Easter away. The house is boring again with no holiday flair scattered about. I’m contemplating pulling 4th of July out just to have something festive to look at. Instead of “cooking” yesterday evening, I decided to pull some beef empanadas out of the freezer that I made late last summer. I really need to start using some of the food in the freezer to make room for this year’s new vegetables. I’m thinking positively, considering we lost our first crop of veggies due to the cold snap, and have just got around to planting the replacements. I have my fingers crossed that this will be a great year for carrots and onions at least.
Instead of eating dry empanadas, I chose to indulge and mix up a small batch of olive crema to serve over them. I think I tempted fate with this sauce, seeing as how B.O.B. Bob really has no strong desire to eat either olives or sour cream. Luckily he chose to ignore his dislike for certain foods this time around, because I noticed there wasn’t any left on his plate when doing the dishes. I do believe the man is finally starting to actually like olives; it’s about time! I’m sure he enjoyed eating the green beans from last summer much more, but it was nice of him to indulge me and suffer through one of my sauce experiments.
- 1/4 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Teaspoons White Wine Vinegar
- 3 Dashes Hot Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chives, Finely Chopped
- 6 Extra-Large Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, Finely Chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Freshly Grated Cheddar
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium-sized bowl.
- Serve with either homemade or store-bought empanadas.
- Garnish with additional chopped olives.
- Use a Microplane Fine Grater to grate the cheese finely.
- Add a 1/4-teaspoon taco seasoning.
- Replace the cheddar cheese with Manchego.
ORIGINALLY POSTED 05/06/2014
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.