I’m not sure I’d call this a recipe; it’s more of an idea. It’s particularly a great idea for when you have one lonely avocado sitting on your counter, which is becoming dangerously close to over-ripe. One avocado is not enough to make guacamole. It is for some people I’m sure, but I’m not one of them. Guacamole must be made in large quantities to satisfy my great appetite for it; as far as I’m concerned it’s probably the one ingredient that makes eating Mexican worthwhile. I usually order extra guacamole on the side, just in case they skimp on the portions. This always makes me think of my sister-in-law, who can never get enough of any sauce or condiment, and always orders quadruple the amount.
Avocados aren’t very good eaten plain when they are near the over-ripening stage, so this sandwich spread is a great way to avoid throwing them away. When a couple of slices of ham and cheese come to the party, well that’s when things really start getting exciting. Confetti falls from the sky, balloons rise into the air, and party hats are donned. All right, I may be exaggerating a bit, but you know what I mean. Great Bread + Ham + Cheese + Avocado Mayo Sandwich Spread = Scrumptious Goodness.
- 1 Avocado
- 1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 Teaspoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Finely Chopped Shallot
- 1/2 Teaspoon Finely Chopped Cilantro
- 1/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Make this right before you plan on using it, or else the avocado will start to turn brown.
- This sandwich spread is amazing paired with Honey Baked Ham.
- Add a dash of vinegar, which will add flavor, and keep the avocado from turning brown.
Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.