This cake is just the perfect thing to serve on Christmas morning. It only takes a few minutes to put together; you can have it ready before the little ones have even finished opening their presents. It’s a blend of crunchy sugariness on the edges, and moist softness in the middle, with the slight sourness of the cranberries made tolerable with just a pinch of salt.
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened (Plus Additional for Buttering Baking Dish)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Fresh Cranberries
- 3 Tablespoons Light Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- With a mixer, on medium speed, beat the eggs and sugar for 7 minutes.
- Add the butter, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest; mix for 2 minutes, on medium speed.
- Stir in the flour with a spatula, just until combined.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Spread the batter evenly into a buttered 9×13-inch glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with brown sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.
- It is important to mix the eggs and the sugar for 7 minutes. The mixture should almost double in size. The eggs work as your leavening agent in this recipe, so do not skip this step.
- This cake tastes best served warm. Reheat any leftovers in the microwave for 30 seconds before serving.
- Use orange zest in place of lemon zest.
- Add some chopped pecans or almonds to the batter.
ORIGINALLY POSTED 12/23/2013
Come Join Us in the Kitchen!
Subscribe to Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice to receive exclusive recipes, newsletters, and special updates.